The highlights from Day 1 of Riders practice at Mosaic Stadium:
- There was a great deal of player shuffling going on as the Riders prepare for Saturday’s game against the visiting Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The most significant move was Patrick Neufeld working with the first-team unit as right tackle. I would guess they are looking at making a ratio change with import with RT Chris Patrick headed to the sidelines. That would allow the Riders to add an import receiver. It’s possible that Terrence Jeffers-Harris and Taj Smith could both be added to the active roster as receivers. Where that will be become more clearer as on Wednesday.
- Macho Harris tweaked a knee on Tuesday, but still practised. Nick Graham and Tristan Jackson saw the majority of reps at cornerback. Jackson played well at cornerback on Thursday, but I think the Riders are a better team with Jackson as the primary returner. They used Jock Sanders and Weston Dressler along with Jackson on returns.
- Practice was open on Tuesday, which drew a large contingent of day cares. It started to rain just at the end of practice, which chased the kids away. That’s too bad. It’s always a highlight for the players and the kids when they meet after practice.
- Other than that, it was a normal Day 1. I have a feature on Kory Sheets and his development as a running back and a look ahead to the Riders preparing for Chris Williams. My efforts will be posted online later and for your reading pleasure on Wednesday.
- You could have followed me on Twitter today and been aware of a lot of this already. Then you would have missed my begging for Twitter followers at the end of this blog. You can follow me @murraylp if you want to follow me.