It was another memorable weather day for Regina and the Roughriders.
It’s been hot in Regina lately and Wednesday started off muggy. Then a thunderstorm rolled through the city. The storm hit shortly before the Riders were to practice and there was no way they could have taken to the turf under those conditions. The heavy rain wasn’t an issue. It was the lightning that was flashing all around.
Practice was delayed for an hour, but there was still some thunder rumbling around when they finally took to the field. The preparations must go on and the Riders did that despite the inclement conditions. Here are the highlights as the Riders prepare for the B.C. Lions:
- Tristan Jackson is expected to return to the active roster after missing a game with a knee injury. Jackson won’t return to his cornerback position though. Terrell Maze will remain there while Jackson will return kickoffs and punts.
- Head coach Corey Chamblin said it was up Brendon LaBatte if he’s going to play Saturday against the B.C. Lions. LaBatte injured his right shoulder on Sunday. Chamblin said LaBatte if healthy, they want him on the roster. If not, they will count on their depth in that area to get them through the game.
- Import Johan Asiata has been getting some repetitions at left guard in LaBatte’s absence. There was a time on Wednesday that the Riders have three imports on the offensive line – Xavier Fulton and Chris Patrick at tackle and Asiata at guard. I doubt if that will take place during a game, but it’s something I’ll try to keep an eye on.
- Backup quarterback Drew Willy has been getting some repetitions with the first-team offence. He showed some of his potential when Willy connected with Rob Bagg on a nice passing play. Willy made a perfect three-step drop and whistled a pass to where Bagg was supposed to end up. Bagg caught the pass in stride to complete the pretty play.
- That’s about it. Other than the weather, it was a regular Day 2 at practice. I still created some stories. I delve into how Chamblin has prepared the Riders in how to deal with distractions with practice being postponed and concentrating while thunder rumbles around practice. There is also an ever-popular notebook.
If you followed me on Twitter you would been aware most of this by now.