HAMILTON – It’s the day before the 2012 CFL season in hot, steamy and muggy Hamilton.
It’s definitely as three-shirt day due to the weather. The forecast is for more heat and even more humidity on Friday, but the severity varies on the weather sites. I’m safe to say it’s darned hot and I hope the Riders had been loading up on the fluids this week. On the bright side, no wasps.
The Tiger-Cats held their media availability and here are the highlights:
- SB Andy Fantuz is excited about getting the season started and not just because it’s against his former team. He’s always excited to start the season. He was the focus of attention and will be mine too. You can read more on his thoughts online later and in Friday’s Leader-Post.
- QB Henry Burris is also excited about getting the season started. It has been a long off-season and it’s nice to finally play. He’s looking forward to playing with Fantuz. I’m paraphrasing, but they anticipating having a successful season.
- Head coach George Cortez is definitely old school when it comes to his interviews. One roster question was asked about the starting centre and Cortez said we would know more on Friday night. He’s not as excited about the season starting and facing Corey Chamblin as a head coach. Cortez said it’s more about the players.
- I had a nice chat with Tiger-Cats MLB Rey Williams about playing the Riders and facing Chamblin. His thoughts will also be featured online later and in the paper on Friday.
- The Riders released their 46-player roster and DT Zach Evans is on the list. I understand that the Riders haven’t any intention of sending Evans back to junior, even though he has a year of eligibility remaining. So it’s welcome to the CFL for Evans. Good for him and a shout out to junior football and the Regina Thunder for preparing Evans for the big jump.
- As expected, Justin Harper is to start at wide receiver. He appears more comfortable there than when he was at slotback for a while during training camp. Some players have problems adjusting to the waggle and that kind of stuff. Efrem Hill is listed as a starting slotback along with Weston Dressler and Chris Getzlaf.
The Riders are to arrive here later and I’ll update what happens then later.
Remember to follow me on Twitter for more updates.